The University of Kansas seeks a GIS Coordinator to be responsible for the development and implementation of geographic information systems (GIS) solutions and standards. This individual will participate on IT projects requiring GIS data, define data needs with business users, assist with collection of field survey data, and develop and maintain geospatial databases. This position will also use GIS to perform spatial analysis and database development, extraction and manipulation to support a variety of planning, engineering, administrative and other applications and converts data received from internal and external sources to make them usable in the GIS as well as maintains metadata and documentation, performing topology checks and other data quality checks to identify and correct data errors.
The GIS Coordinator position is new to the organization and may have opportunities to expand in growth, supervision, etc. as the role develops. This position may work with all levels of the University in effectively presenting, communicating and collecting technical information. This would include but not be limited to technical and non-technical audiences such as Senior and Executive Leadership. Collaboration would occur between various departments ranging from Accessibility and Facilities Services, to Research and Academic units by understanding their needs and documenting their requirements. Once defined and approved, the Coordinator would implement the requirements into a technical product that meets their needs, follows the defined standards and meets the goals of the University.
The University is committed in continuing efforts to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are actively encouraged to apply.
- 40% – Implement, develop and manage campus GIS system.
- Design and write programs using ARC/INFO and ArcView to include geographic analysis of city data as required.
- Prepare clear and concise reports and technical documents. Assist in a variety of special projects; assist other department personnel with modifications and other work on systems. Examples may include; working with Accessibility on ADA route maps, working with Public Safety on emergency routes, working with Landscaping on a grounds classification area map, working with IT on a wireless coverage map.
- Prepare, create and publish location-based data from GIS system in preparation of and during emergencies. Some emergency preparedness training may be required.
- 20% – Oversee maintenance of GIS relational database system, GIS base map and support public facing map(s); ensure compliance with database and cartographic standards; perform geographic analysis and cartographic production as required.
- Stay abreast of technological changes or advancements in the areas of GIS technologies, data processing, operations, new or updated software and hardware, and various business applications; read and interpret technical publications and manuals. Develop and recommend cost effective technical system improvements.
- 10% – Serve as liaison between the departments/units concerning GIS-related matters; function as primary contact for consultants and contractors for GIS-related work.
- 10% – Survey, discuss and evaluate user needs within the organization for GIS available services; set GIS goals and priorities.
- 5% – Evaluate technological advances and promote usage of appropriate applications among departmental users; recommend appropriate training programs for all GIS-related positions.
- 5% – Responsible for budgetary matters relating to the GIS program including GIS personnel, hardware and software acquisitions, maintenance, training and contractual services.
- 5% – Evaluate and manage all GIS proposals, contracts, grants and agreements with outside agencies.
- 5% – Develop and maintain five-year GIS information and technology plan.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years’ experience using ESRI software, including at least one year of GIS project experience.
- Spatial data base design experience using Oracle/SQL Server and ArcSDE.
- Experience with enterprise applications architecture and design.
- Experience in translating CAD to GIS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated through application materials, work related experience, and interview. Possession of current valid driver’s license within three months of employment.
- Experience as a GIS Administrator in a large scale organization, demonstrating increased responsibilities over time.
- Experience working with and supporting multiple units.
- Experience in enterprise systems implementation using Environmental Research Systems Department (ESRI) ARC/INFO and ArcView software.
- GIS Project Management experience.
- Understanding and implementation experience of Service Orientation Architecture.
- Experience with the use of, graphic plotters, digitizers and laser printers.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is April 3rd, 2018.
Contact Information to Applicants
Deputy CIO for Technology, Information Technology
Advertised Salary Range
Contingent on experience
Application Review Begins
Wednesday, April 4, 2018