Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, College of Science & Engineering, Geographic Information Science Program, is seeking applications for a Professional Assistant Professor of Geographic Information Science position. The appointment will begin fall 2018. The successful candidate will be expected to teach Plane Spatial Measurement, Cadastral Systems in Texas and the US, History of the Settlement of Texas Lands, Legal Aspects of Surveying, and Survey Digital Drafting. Additional duties include undergraduate mentoring, recruitment, and outreach for the program.
The College of Science & Engineering Geographic Information Science undergraduate degree program is accredited by ABET, Inc. The undergraduate and graduate programs are taught face-to-face and online. Applicants can go to http://www.gisc.tamucc.edu for more information on the Program, College and theUniversity.
- Doctoral degree in a Geospatial Science or in a related field
- Licensed State Land Surveyor
- Professional experience in Land Surveying, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and have a strong commitment to teaching excellence.
- Ability to teach online
- Prior experience in teaching geospatial science related courses
- Experience in teaching at the professional level topics including geospatial surveying techniques, geodetic science, land boundary retracement, geospatial computations and adjustment, design and analysis of surveying data
To be considered for the position, all required documentation must be uploaded.
A completed application will include:
- A letter of interest addressing qualifications listed,
2. A statement of teaching philosophy,
3. A curriculum vitae, including research/publication record,
4. Indicators of teachingactivity/effectivenessor potential, and
5. A list of three references
Review of applications will begin immediately. The posting will remain open until a finalist has been selected.
For more information, please contact:
Professor Gary Jeffress, Ph.D., Search Committee Chairperson
Director, Conrad Blucher Institute for Surveying & Science
College of Science & Engineering
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive Unit # 5868
Corpus Christi, Texas 78412-5808
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
Diana S. Sinton, Ph.D.
Executive Director, UCGIS
The ad and application instruction are available on this webpage: http://cybergis.illinois.edu/
Lund University, Sweden, announce a new Associate Senior University Lecturer in Geomatics. See the link:
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of Geography at Portland State University (PSU) invites applicants for a 9-month, full-time, non-tenure-track Instructor or Senior Instructor position in Geographic Information Science starting September 16, 2018. The position is renewable annually subject to funding availability and satisfactory performance. This position will contribute to our Geographic Techniques curricular, which includes Cartography, GIS, Remote sensing and Spatial Statistics. Teaching assignments per term include teaching three sections of the core introductory Mapping and GIS course and small upper division courses.
Additional information can be found at https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/26760.
We have now two open positions on geodata science at the Department of Geoinformatics and Cartography, Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI):
Research manager – https://www.valtiolle.fi/en-US/Vacancy?id=30-299-2018
We are offering the position of a research manager at the Department of Geoinformatics and Cartography at the Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI) at the National Land Survey for the fixed term of 1 August 2018–31 December 2020. The research manager leads the geodata science group’s research in the field of geospatial data analysis focusing on opportunities of extensive and efficient utilisation of big geospatial data and information sharing in innovative web services. The position of a research manager includes leading of a research team and research projects, developing the cooperation between research groups and applying funding for his or her research team. In addition, the research manager is responsible for ensuring his or her research team’s scientific competitiveness, impact, publishing activities and communication and he/she also assists the department head in the administration of the department.
Scientist/Senior scientist – https://www.valtiolle.fi/en-US/Vacancy?id=30-300-2018
We are offering the position of a research scientist/senior research scientist at the Department of Geoinformatics and Cartography at FGI at the National Land Survey. The position is for a fixed term, 1 August 2018–31 December 2019, and it involves doing research in the opportunities of geospatial data analysis and machine learning in the utilisation of large trajectory datasets in planning better urban and traffic environments. The position of a research scientist includes doing scientific research and writing scientific publications. The research scientist is responsible for societal and scientific impact and renewal of his/her research and for communicating about it. In addition, the position of senior research scientist includes application of research funding.
Due date for the applications is at 4.15PM (EEST), June 6th 2018.
Juha Oksanen, professor, PhD
Head of Department, Geoinformatics and Cartography
National Land Survey of Finland, Finnish Geospatial Research Institute (FGI), P.O.Box 84, FI-00521 HELSINKI Visiting address: Geodeetinrinne 2, FI-02430 MASALA
+358 40 831 4092 / email@example.com / Skype: juha.oksanen / Twitter: @jsoksanen
Zajímavá nabídka pro všechny nadšence geinformatiky:
At KU Leuven there is an academic vacancy (professor) in the field of Big (geospatial)data analysis: https://www.
The University of Kansas seeks a GIS Coordinator to be responsible for the development and implementation of geographic information systems (GIS) solutions and standards. This individual will participate on IT projects requiring GIS data, define data needs with business users, assist with collection of field survey data, and develop and maintain geospatial databases. This position will also use GIS to perform spatial analysis and database development, extraction and manipulation to support a variety of planning, engineering, administrative and other applications and converts data received from internal and external sources to make them usable in the GIS as well as maintains metadata and documentation, performing topology checks and other data quality checks to identify and correct data errors.
The GIS Coordinator position is new to the organization and may have opportunities to expand in growth, supervision, etc. as the role develops. This position may work with all levels of the University in effectively presenting, communicating and collecting technical information. This would include but not be limited to technical and non-technical audiences such as Senior and Executive Leadership. Collaboration would occur between various departments ranging from Accessibility and Facilities Services, to Research and Academic units by understanding their needs and documenting their requirements. Once defined and approved, the Coordinator would implement the requirements into a technical product that meets their needs, follows the defined standards and meets the goals of the University.
The University is committed in continuing efforts to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are actively encouraged to apply.
- 40% – Implement, develop and manage campus GIS system.
- Design and write programs using ARC/INFO and ArcView to include geographic analysis of city data as required.
- Prepare clear and concise reports and technical documents. Assist in a variety of special projects; assist other department personnel with modifications and other work on systems. Examples may include; working with Accessibility on ADA route maps, working with Public Safety on emergency routes, working with Landscaping on a grounds classification area map, working with IT on a wireless coverage map.
- Prepare, create and publish location-based data from GIS system in preparation of and during emergencies. Some emergency preparedness training may be required.
- 20% – Oversee maintenance of GIS relational database system, GIS base map and support public facing map(s); ensure compliance with database and cartographic standards; perform geographic analysis and cartographic production as required.
- Stay abreast of technological changes or advancements in the areas of GIS technologies, data processing, operations, new or updated software and hardware, and various business applications; read and interpret technical publications and manuals. Develop and recommend cost effective technical system improvements.
- 10% – Serve as liaison between the departments/units concerning GIS-related matters; function as primary contact for consultants and contractors for GIS-related work.
- 10% – Survey, discuss and evaluate user needs within the organization for GIS available services; set GIS goals and priorities.
- 5% – Evaluate technological advances and promote usage of appropriate applications among departmental users; recommend appropriate training programs for all GIS-related positions.
- 5% – Responsible for budgetary matters relating to the GIS program including GIS personnel, hardware and software acquisitions, maintenance, training and contractual services.
- 5% – Evaluate and manage all GIS proposals, contracts, grants and agreements with outside agencies.
- 5% – Develop and maintain five-year GIS information and technology plan.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years’ experience using ESRI software, including at least one year of GIS project experience.
- Spatial data base design experience using Oracle/SQL Server and ArcSDE.
- Experience with enterprise applications architecture and design.
- Experience in translating CAD to GIS.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated through application materials, work related experience, and interview. Possession of current valid driver’s license within three months of employment.
- Experience as a GIS Administrator in a large scale organization, demonstrating increased responsibilities over time.
- Experience working with and supporting multiple units.
- Experience in enterprise systems implementation using Environmental Research Systems Department (ESRI) ARC/INFO and ArcView software.
- GIS Project Management experience.
- Understanding and implementation experience of Service Orientation Architecture.
- Experience with the use of, graphic plotters, digitizers and laser printers.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application consists of:
A cover letter addressing how required qualifications are met.
3 Professional References
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline for applications is April 3rd, 2018.
Contact Information to Applicants
Deputy CIO for Technology, Information Technology
Advertised Salary Range
Contingent on experience
Application Review Begins
Wednesday, April 4, 2018