As the science and knowledge service of the Commission, the mission of DG Joint Research Centre is to support EU policies with independent evidence throughout the whole policy cycle.
The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/
The JRC has recently established the Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS) with the mission of investigating new research areas of relevance for European policy. CAS provides an interdisciplinary and stimulating space where JRC scientists engage in top research in policy-relevant thematic areas and connect with leading katedraions in the field worldwide.
CAS is looking for three researchers to join the project on “Digital Transformation – Governance of Human Societies”. The overall objective of this three-year project is to understand how the processes of digital transformation are affecting human society, and are challenging policy makers and the governance of society.
The project will focus on four strands of research:
- the changing dynamics relating to the ownership, quality and use of digital data and information;
- the key societal, business, and environmental challenges relating to massive interconnectivity (Internet of Things);
- the ways in which education, training, and lifelong learning need to evolve to ensure fulfilling and healthy lives in a digitally transformed society;
- Changes in governance processes and structures that will help guide a highly interconnected and dynamic society.
Each strand will involve in-depth research of current trends and new directions at the interface between technology, economy and society based on big data analytics of scientific literature, technical reports, legislation, and the media as well as qualitative research methods (surveys, interviews, focus groups) involving key stakeholders from government, industry, academia, and civil society. These stakeholders will be engaged in an iterative process through the project to help frame the questions, validate the analyses, and evaluate future options.
This is a strongly multidisciplinary project, and we are looking for candidates with research experience in the following three areas:
- Digital infrastructures: multi-stakeholder multi-criteria decision-making, spatial data and information society infrastructures, netcentric approaches.
- Information, Society, and Business: communication, network dynamics, ecommerce, information theory, education, demographics, learning, knowledge creation.
- Governance: European governance, digital public participation processes, social and governance theory inclusion, principles of resilient self-regulating systems.
- Doctoral degree or PhD degree (or equivalent) in a related field. As equivalent is considered a University degree of at least three years and 5 years of experience in a field relevant to the position.
- Demonstrated research experience in one of the fields above.
- Experience in writing and communicating to scientific, policy, and business audiences, as well as the general public.
- Knowledge on neural network algorithms and processing is an advantage.
A very good knowledge of English (C1 level) is required.
The positions will be located in Ispra (Italy). The candidates will work in a team with JRC staff, and under the leadership of two external lead scientists in spatial informatics, and geography.
Duration of contract
12 months initial contract with possible renewals up to maximum 3 years
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff.
EPSO has launched in January 2017 an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the katedraions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) can recruit contract agents. Details available at the link below: https://epso.europa.eu/documents/2240_en
The JRC has launched in January 2015 a permanent call for researchers FG IV. Details available at the link below:
Auxiliary contract staff: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/temporary-positions/contract-staff-members
Please note that due to the high number of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 12/12/2017 23:59 Brussels time