As senior scientific staff member with a background and interest in GIand databases/data modelling you will become member of the technical team ofSADL. You will contribute to SDI research and consultancy activities related,among others, to INSPIRE implementation in Belgium and other parts of Europe.Focus will be on data modelling using (UML), data harmonization/transformationand testing & validation activities. Moreover, work related to metadatastandardization and implementation might be another field of activity. You willalso help in developing and maintaining technical guidelines on topics such asmetadata, data harmonization and the testing & validation procedures.Finally, you will also contribute to typical GIS activities such as spatialanalysis, mapping, scripting and possibly application development.
Several projects are ongoing. The first project aims to support theNational Mapping Agency (NGI-BE) and other federal partners such as the MeteoOffice, Statistics Belgium, etc., with the implementation of the INSPIRE Directive.The second project supports the European Environmental Agency (EEA) with regardto geospatial standardisation and UML modelling (e.g. extending INSPIREapplication schema). The third project is a framework contract with theEuropean Commission, to provide technical support to different DG’s with regardto their geospatial data and services. This might include mapping, spatialanalysis, maintenance and QC of data, scripting to automate GI jobs, etc.
Your work is performed in Leuven and Brussels,but travel to European project meetings might be required as well.
· You have a passion forGeographic Information (Technology) and are strongly interested in ICT relateddevelopments;
· You are keen to learn andtest new environments and new methods;
· You have a universitydegree (e.g. Master in Geography, bio-engineer, Master computer sciences) or anequivalent degree from another higher education department;
· You have at least 5 yearsworking experience;
· Sound knowledge andextensive skills in GIS Desktop Software for mapping, spatial analysis and dataprocessing (QGIS, ArcGIS, or similar products);
· Basic knowledge andexperience in UML modelling and the use of ETL tools is a must;
· Some knowledge on theINSPIRE Directive and its Implementing Rules and technical guidelines is anadded value;
· Knowledge of the ESRIServer products and the Modelbuilder is also an added value;
· You are fluently reading,talking and writing in English. Knowledge of the Dutch or French language ispreferable;
· You are willing to work independently– but as part of a bigger team – and you are able to work in a flexible workingenvironment able to handle deadlines in a project context.
· Scientific collaborator of KULeuven
· Contract of fixed duration,but extensions are possible
· Travel and insurance costs,costs for meetings in Belgium and project related costs are covered
· An informal and motivatingwork environment in which scientific and societal challenges meet each other.