Apply until 23/04/2019 23:59 CET
→ Discipline: Cartography – GIS
→ 100% Assistant professor tenure track
→ Reference number: 201901/WE/ZAP/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
Cartography – together with geodesy – is essential to spatial information. It is the basis to position human behaviour and to map the environment. It is essential in each geographical curriculum. Since several decennia, UGent teaches in cartography, and does research in cartography (in areas such as historical cartography, spatial perception, new cartographical media and GIS-applications, as well as cartographical distortions). Today, cartography is strongly interconnected with Geo-ICT. This integration is essential in the current and future research of the department.
Complementary, another professor (in geomatics) of the department is specialised in Geographical Information Systems (GIS), GIScience & Technology.
Within these domains, about 20 researchers will conduct a PhD research in 2019-2020. The group is strongly embedded in the international research community.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of traditional cartography, Geo-ICT (GIPlatforms, web mapping, …), geomatics programming and geodesy, both at undergraduate and graduate level. Education is partly in Dutch and partly in English. The teaching and lecturing will be evaluated on actuality, connection with the educational program and interaction with the students.
You conduct research in the discipline of Cartography at an internationally competitive level. You seek funding to realize projects and to hire PhD students, and you act as their supervisor.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the department of Geography. During your career you are willing to engage in your share of administrative duties or leadership positions.
- You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
- You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
- Recommended are:
- International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
- Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing;
- Professionalisation of education.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You have strong interpersonal skills, making you a team player and an effective communicator with colleagues, employees, students and other stakeholders.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on October 1st 2019. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
- We offer you a temporary appointment in a tenure track system for a term of five years. If positively evaluated by the University Board, the term of office will be transferred into a permanent appointment as an associate professor.
Should you already be a member of the professorial staff or hold an equal post at another university or research institution, you can immediately be appointed as an assistant professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
- The recruitment is possible no sooner than October 1st 2019.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/professorialcareer.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form) + your research plan in which the research vision and the research strategy for the upcoming years are presented (at most 2 pages), merged into one pdf file.
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in your possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Professor Frank Witlox (firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 (0)9 264 45 53) at the faculty of Sciences, department of Geography.