The Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center at the University of Connecticut, School of Engineering is seeking applicants for an end-date, full-time Research Assistant 1.
Under the direction of the Director of the Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center (CTSRC), the successful candidate will assist in data collection, consolidation, validation, and integration efforts related to migration from a limited non-geospatial roadway attribute database to a Model Inventory of Roadway Elements (MIRE) compliant, geospatially accurate database, with the ultimate goal of aiding the advancement of the State’s data driven safety analysis capabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing data scrubbing and quality control checks of asset datasets before integration into the production database;
- Coordination with Connecticut Department of Transportation data stewards on asset development and Linear Referencing system (LRS) integration requirements;
- Coordination activities between the Department and UCONN CTSRC on data integration and availability for use in safety analysis;
- Asset data migration from the legacy database to the geospatial LRS database;
- LRS development work related to alignment changes, new road construction, additional desired segment locations, and other miscellaneous LRS accuracy improvement activities.
Possession of at least a Bachelor’s degree; Geography, GIS, or Computer Science Degree. No post-degree experience or equivalent specialized training and experience are required. Other related disciplines that are deemed appropriate and relevant to this position may also be considered.
Familiarity with ESRI, Bentley, or open source (QGIS) mapping/GIS tools; familiarity with basic load/extract/query procedures associated with GIS functions; familiarity with applicable federal and state guidelines regarding data collection, LRS integration, and data visualization, particularly the Model of Roadway Inventory Elements (MIRE) and All Roads Network of Linear Referenced Data (ARNOLD).
The full job posting and application instructions can be found here.
Seth D. Kenbeek
Research Assistant III – GIS Programmer
Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center
Connecticut Transportation Institute
University of Connecticut
Phone: (860) 486-5400